Sunday, February 10, 2008

Hot Water Heater Blast!

It's been awhile since I've posted...been pretty busy since Christmas. Dealing with the up and down weather temperatures here and a pretty nasty cold that I finally had to take a steriod for.

Well, today didn't start so well. I jumped out of bed to take a shower this morning to get ready for church and there was no hot water. Our pilot light was out - it does this some in the winter when it's windy. So, I went to the gargage to relight the pilot light. I turned the knob to pilot and pressed the red button as I lit the pilot light. I didn't hold the button down very long, had already turned the gas back on and noticed that the pilot light was out again! Not thinking I just pressed the button on my matchless lighter and stuck it in the heater again. A huge flame hit my face as the flame hit the gas and pretty much knocked me over. It scared me to death - I could have very easily burned my face. I'm fine, but I singed my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes on my left side. The worst part is the eyelashes - half the length they were and now little stubs. I've done some internet research - I think it will take about 4 weeks for eyelashes to grow back. I'm lucky; it could have been a lot worse. So remember, when using a lighter at a water heater, make sure the gas is off!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Oh man! I'm so thankful you are okay. What a scare!! I'm always terrified of flames and gas combo.
Happy Valentine's Day!